ALLY™ is a community for networking and support. Your action and conversations are critical in promoting a diverse and inclusive workforce in energy. We want your stories and insights to be heard, so help us help you. The following steps and guidelines will assist you in curating your post, maximizing clicks, and promoting your overall personal brand.
The video instructions below will help you find where to go to publish your blog.
Getting Started #
Go to Post a Blog under the “Publish” tab of your menu. If you have an account and are logged in, you can start creating your blog post.
Constructing Your Article #
When constructing your article be thorough and deliberate about the content and grammar of your text (this is going to be published to your industry peers and mentors after all). Read our Ask Ally section on what makes good content to learn more about our content categories and how to optimize your article’s SEO and readability analysis. Below are a few key guidelines to follow:
- Remain between 300-700 words. Exceptions will be made on a case by case basis.
- Present your thoughts in a clear and concise manner and use active verbs when possible.
- Use correct grammar and punctuation with one space after periods.
- Keep in mind a suitable keyword/key phrase for your piece and write with SEO in mind – include keyword in opening paragraph, include keyword in some H2 headings, etc. (more on headings in the next section)
- Try to use both internal and external links with preference to ALLY members.
- Include a suggested high-resolution feature photo and include photo attributes at the end of the article. Any other photos must also have attributions/credit (more on image attributes in a later section)
Title and Headings #
All blog posts must have a title and at least 2 headings. When it comes to curating the title and headings of your post, follow the KISS Principle: Keep it Short & Simple.
Article title #
The title is the primary description of your article, so be thoughtful in choosing a concise and effective phrase. Here are some tips for generating a good title.
- No more than six words or 55 characters.
- Should represent the content of the entire article – keywords and key phrases are critical to search engine optimization
- Grab the audience’s attention (learn more about getting creative with your titles here)
- Capitalize all nouns, pronouns, adjectives, verbs, adverbs, and subordinate conjunctions.
Headings and sub-headings #
Headings and sub-headings are the signposts that guide your reader through the article. They are critical to the readability of your text as well as in optimizing your search engine appearance. Follow these guidelines when structuring your headings:
- Indicate the importance level by text size. Use H2 for main headings and H3 for your sub-headings.
- Use keywords that reflect the subsequent section of your text. To boost your SEO score, we also recommend you use words or phrases that are synonymous with your title.
- Keep all headings aligned to the left of your page. You may use bold and italic font as you see fit.
Find more information on how to use headings here. Note: all titles, headlines, and sub-headlines are subject to change at the discretion of the editorial team.
Inserting Media #
Featured images #
Every blog post must include a featured image. Refer to other blogs on our site to get ideas for what kind of featured image is appropriate. To post a featured image, click the editing icon in the upper right corner.
In order for our site to run optimally and all images to appear uniformly, we have strict guidelines for what can be uploaded.
- Image Size: Must be a 16 x 9 aspect ratio. The recommended size within that ratio is 1280 x 720 pixels. This size will give your image the best resolution on our site. You can use Canva or Pic resize to crop to these dimensions.
- File Size: Must be NO MORE THAN 100 KB and preferably, under 70KB. Large file sizes will make the site run slowly. Optimize your file size in tinyjpg or image resizer.
- File format: Must be in JPG format (not PNG, TIFF or GIF)
- Image title: Make sure you are uploading an image that has a descriptive title relevant to the content of the photo. (i.e. NOT “Screenshot 2020-08-07”)
Inserting photos #
Going beyond a featured image and inserting photos within your text is a great way to make your content more engaging. The same guidelines for featured images apply here except for the exact image size. You may use an image that is not 16 x 9 ratio so long as it is still a JPG and less than 100 KB. Select the plus sign in the post editor to reveal the option to add a photo.
Embedding videos #
The plus sign in the post editor will also reveal the option to embed a video. Paste a Youtube, Vimeo, Facebook, Twitter or Instagram Link and press Enter
- Total running time should be 2:30 minutes or less. Exceptions will be made based on subject matter.
- Ensure that your Vimeo or Youtube link can be embedded properly and is not restricted to private viewing. If the Vimeo content needs to remain private, include allyenergy.com as a domain to allow embedding the video.
- Social media embedding: ensure that the user profile is public
Categories and Tags #
When you submit your featured image, you will also see a section for designating the category and tags. These will primarily be assigned by the Ally editorial team.
Our categories are how we filter and target blog posts to members. Your job is to write about relevant content that will fall into one of our several categories. Learn about our categories here.
All contributed content from members will be assigned the “member insights” category. “Member Insights” will be the only category made available for you to assign to your post. Any other categories will be determined and designated by the ALLY™ editorial team.
Tags are based on the main topics of your article and must be proper nouns such as names, companies, cities. Note that tags DO NOT serve the same purpose as categories and not all blog posts will have tags. If you are unsure if something qualifies as an appropriate tag, leave the section blank. The ALLY™ editorial team can add tags to your post as we see fit.
Saving or Submitting your Blog #
Save your post #
To return back later to your post for further edits, choose Save.
Submit for review #
When you are done editing and feel like your article is ready to be published, click Submit for Review.
The ALLY™ editorial team may make changes to all articles submitted:
- Content may be edited for style, substance, length, and SEO best practices.
- Links, art, and graphics may be added for context.
- Paragraphs may be shortened for clarity or brevity.
The ALLY™ editorial team reviews incoming content submissions daily. For questions or issues, visit our member support page.