Description of Role
• Perform economic commodity margin forecasting for Calpine’s generation fleet based on commodity markets, market/contract structures and asset characteristics.
• Perform analysis of business decisions and strategic issues, including issues related to plant operations and dispatch, commodity markets, asset and contract commodity margins, and transaction pricing.
• Perform reporting on asset fleet’s operational parameters including generation, fuel burns, heat rates, capacity factors, etc.
• Perform analysis of operational issues including outage costs and optimization, operational trends, and investment analysis
• Co-ordinate with multiple functional groups/stakeholders within the company for annual budgeting/long term forecasting
• Support the continued development of:
o Calpine’s modeling infrastructure including asset and contract models as well as repositories of fundamental market data
o Board meeting ECM analysis and market slides
o Periodic corporate business plan projections and commercial transaction targets
o Commercial views supporting business strategy, hedging decisions, and development/acquisition opportunities.
• Margin Forecasting
• Model Development
• Asset Optimization
• Investment Analysis
• Operations Reporting
• Operations Analysis
• Advanced level Excel model-building skills
• Demonstrated aptitude applying analytical tools, such as Allegro, LIM, Energy Velocity, FEA, or Ventyx Planning & Risk.
• Demonstrated understanding of asset valuation methods (dispatch models, options, swaps, tolls, and PPAs).
• Intermediate programming skills with one or more of the following: VBA, R, Python
• Familiarity with Monte Carlo simulation and two-factor forecasting models.
• Intermediate level presentation and Power Point skills
• Experience with manipulating large amounts of data and working with structured databases (SQL, MDB)
• Candidate should offer a subset of the experience and knowledge below:
o Experience modeling assets similar to those in Calpine’s portfolio, including gas-fired combined cycles and cogeneration plants, geothermal assets, tolling and other contracts, storage facilities, battery etc.
o Knowledge of US gas and electric market fundamentals, including supply and demand, environmental legislation, and regional market structures.
o Familiar with power plant design and performance metrics.
o Valuation of commodity and derivative transactions as well as the impacts of various regulatory policies.
• Team player with a “whatever it takes” attitude who is used to diving into an issue, brainstorming solutions, and learning new methods and tools to address.”
Qualifications include bachelors, masters degree preferred, in mathematics, computational science, engineering, finance, economics, or accounting with 5+ years of related work experience.
Preferred: 1-3 yrs. of energy industry experience, preferably in a commercial decision-support role.
To apply for this job please visit rn11.ultipro.com.