Calpine Corporation is America’s largest generator of electricity from natural gas and geothermal resources with operations in competitive power markets. Our fleet of 76 power plants in operation and under construction represents approximately 26,000 megawatts of generation capacity. Through wholesale power operations and our retail businesses, we serve customers in 22 states, Canada and Mexico. Our clean, efficient, modern and flexible fleet uses advanced technologies to generate power in a low-carbon and environmentally responsible manner.
Our company was established on the premise that a strong commitment to the environment is inextricably linked to excellence in power generation and corporate responsibility. Since its founding in 1984, Calpine has led the power industry in its unwavering commitment to environmental stewardship. In addition, our renewable geothermal plants use steam generated deep below the earth’s surface to produce clean, renewable electricity.
Description of Role: Transmission Analysis Intern (Summer 2022)
Support analysis of business decisions and strategic issues, including issues related to electricity and natural gas markets, transmission analysis, load forecasting, plant operations and dispatch, asset and contract commodity margins.
Support the continued development of:
• Electrical load flow studies associated with Calpine’s use of the electric transmission system.
• Data integrity, data automation, efficiency improvement for Transmission Analytics.
• Power grid network model development and validation
• Calpine’s proprietary production cost model based, LMP market modeling and analytics platform.
• Transmission system studies and market simulations, using power flow programs and market modeling platforms to identify transmission system capabilities and limitations, and determine risks and opportunities for Calpine’s generation assets and commercial positions.
• Hedging and trading activity support through CRRs/FTRs and other market transactions to help optimize Calpine’s portfolio.
• Regular short-term to mid-term market reports and forecasts.
• Other duties as assigned.”
“Candidate should be working on a Bachelor’s or advanced degree in a quantitative or analytical field, such as electrical engineering, mathematics, statistics, business, economics, or physics at an accredited college or university.
Knowledge base should cover a subset of the following topics:
• Must have at least three years of undergraduate coursework completed by the start of the internship. Graduate students also encouraged to apply. Electrical engineering with power flow analysis experience and IT programming skills is highly desired.
• Minimum GPA 3.2
• Legally eligible to work in the United States now and in the future
• Demonstrated aptitude applying analytical tools such as Microsoft Excel, R, VBA, Python, PSSe, PowerWorld, UPLAN/PROMOD, SQL Server database or similar programming environments.
• Hands-on experience in Security-constrained unit commitment and Security-constrained economic dispatch
• Able to work autonomously and under the pressure of multiple deadlines
• Demonstrated understanding Microsoft Office products (VBA, Excel, PowerPoint, and Word)
• Knowledge of the energy industry, specifically ISOs, the independent power or utility sector, is a plus.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills are a must.
• Team player who enjoys diving into issues, brainstorming solutions, and learning new methods and tools to address problems.
• High degree of enthusiasm and drive.
• Good problem solving and analytical ability
• Good organization skills and attention to details are essential”
To apply for this job please visit rn11.ultipro.com.